Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

The past few months seem to have been full of work, excitement, and fun. We moved to Houston in January with my parents while I interned at Memorial Hermann and Derek worked on his thesis. I absolutely loved my internship. I worked in the Heart and Vascular Institute doing cardiac rehab. For 4 weeks I was in the stress lab where I would hook people up to a 12-lead ECG and help run exercise and chemical stress tests. Then I spent 4 weeks in Phase 1 cardiac rehab with the patients who were admitted to the hospital with any sort of heart problem or who had recently undergone a heart procedure. We would get these patients out of bed and walk them down the hallway. The last rotation of my internship was in Phase 2 cardiac rehab which was at our outpatient clinic. I loved working with heart patients because they are a very motivated population. Most of them have received a second chance at life and are willing to do anything possible to preserve that second chance. During my internship I was also able to see an open heart surgery (dissecting aortic aneurysm repair) and watch a pacemaker be inserted into a man's chest. It was truly a magnificent experience working at Memorial Hermann amongst such intelligent, noble people.

Derek has dedicated the last 5 months to seemingly endless work on his thesis. After a few trips to Utah and countless hours doing research and writing, he has one week left before it is all said and done. I am so proud of him. Two masters degrees in 3 years is not an easy task...and throw in a wedding to boot. What a man!

More to come about our road trip, graduation, and MARS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment