Sunday, October 18, 2009

Summer Beach Trips Part 1: Laguna Beach

A few short weeks after our honeymoon came to a close, we made a trip out to California for my family's annual beach vacation in Laguna Beach.  Lucky for me, the planets had aligned and the timing was just right for us to hit the X Games a few days before our beach vacation started.  My brother Kevin and his wife Krystina came down from Utah a few days early to join us in the amazing celebration of all that is action sports (extreme sports).  Anybody who knows me knows that the X Games for me is like having the superbowl, world series, Stanley Cup, and Olympics all rolled into one event!  Tickets are really cheap and we were able to go to two days of the action in Los Angeles.



While I could write page after page on my synopsis of the X Games, suffice it to say that Christie had a fun time getting to see me in my element and it was great that we could spend some time with my brother and his wife.  Christie did, however, get a little star-struck at the Staples Center when Travis Pastrana parked his bike about 15 feet away from our seats.  Christie yelled as loud as she could, "HI TRAVIS!!!!" and Travis looked over, waved, and merely said "hello".  I thought Christie was going to melt after that, it was fun to see her get so excited.  We have been watching a TV show on MTV called Nitro Circus and Travis is the star, so now Christie has even a deeper interest in watching that show with me.  I don't know how I got so lucky, I never thought my wife would be so excited to meet a motocross star!



On Saturday (our 2nd day of X Games events), in our wanderings around the Home Depot Center, we actually got to meet two of the athletes that actually won gold medals in their respective sports later that day (skate and BMX halfpipe)!  I got to chat with Jamie Bestwick (BMX half-pipe legend) for a while but then Christie got to chat with one of the best skate-boarders in the world during half-pipe practice.  The skater is Pierre Luc-Gagnoc (PLG) and he is from Canada.  When he came by our seats (we had awesome seats right next to the half-pipe), Christie asked him where in Canada he was from and, turns out, he was from a small town where Christie served her mission for a few months.  Kind of crazy, huh?  I can't lie...I was a little jealous that my wife had more to talk about with one of the kings of skateboarding than I did, but I got over it and thought it was pretty cool!



The next week at Laguna, a good majority of the Mackay side of the family attended, which made for a really fun week.  My cousin Tyler and his wife Nicole even made changes to their summer plans to go to Laguna when they found out that Kevin, Krystina, Christie, and I were going to be there....thanks again for making the effort to come!  The week was full of surfing, snorkeling, sunbathing, golf ball hunting, hanging out, farkle, and simply having fun.  We couldn't have asked for anything better.  It was great!  After last years 2nd degree sunburn on both of my feet, I took even more precaution and made it out of Laguna without getting burned this year, wahoo!





 
 
 

One of the exciting parts of the trip was when we all got to hear about Nicole's surprising announcement that she was pregnant!  However, the announcement was not-so-surprising to Christie, who grew up in a family of 6 girls (and has lots of nieces and nephews) and is, subsequently, good at seeing the signs of pregnancy well before most people.  After Christie had spent some time with Nicole during the week, she just knew...

We really had such a fun time just being with family and taking it easy.  Who knows what next summer has in store for us and chances are that we won't have the time to go to Laguna next year, so we did our best to cherish the memories.

The night before we flew back to Texas, we had the chance to attend an Angels baseball game.  Christie's favorite movie is Disney's Angels in the Outfield and I was excited that we could take her to see the stadium and the team play!  She had a good time and we certainly have a hilarious and embarassing story to go along with that night, but definitely won't be sharing it with the world on this blog!  Next time you see us, you'll have to ask us about the good times at the Angel's game!

 

1 comment:

  1. So glad we made it to Laguna!!! And seriously??? I hope you two can make time next year! I think we will be there - at least that's the plan!

    ReplyDelete